It is really just a 10 minute job to cut open a pack of Thai Curry Paste and throw in some veggies, chicken or seafood with a can of coconut milk. Honestly, I’d do it too if it wasn’t a Sunday. There are some good brands easily available in the market in metros. Here’s a recipe for those wish to make green Thai curry paste at home.
I prefer making my own Thai curry paste for a number of reasons.
1) Ready Thai curry paste is not always easily available.
2) The balance of spiciness, tanginess and the flavours can be adjusted to suit my taste.
3) The freshness of coriander roots and freshly cut lemongrass cannot be replaced by a ready pack.
4) I make the paste once in a month and can store it in an airtight container for weeks. So, I can still make my thai curry in 10 minutes.
5) This Thai Curry paste recipe is vegetarian and contains no fish sauce. So, my vegetarian or vegan friends can enjoy it too!
Green Thai Curry Paste
Dark Green Chilies, heads removed (remove seeds to reduce spice) 6 – 8
Lemongrass, stalks only, chopped 5, 5 inch each
Coriander Stalks and roots, cleaned ½ cup
Garlic cloves, peeled 10 cloves
Ginger, peeled 2 ½ inch, cut into small pieces
Lemon zest of 2 ½ lemons (use lime if available)
Coriander Seeds, roasted 3 tablespoons (about 45g)
Cumin Seeds 1 tablespoon (about 15g)
Lemon Juice of 1 Lemon
Light Soy Sauce 2 tablespoons (about 30ml)
Shallots/ Madras Onion, peeled 2
Salt to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2 tablespoons (about 30ml)
Galangal (if available) 1 ½ inch pieces, peeled and cut
Kaffir Lime Leaves (if available) 4-5 leaves
Thai Basil (if available) 4 -5 leaves
Add all the Ingredients in a grinder jar and blitz them together to a fine paste.
Green Thai Curry
Babycorn 5 pieces, cut diagonally
Frenchbeans 15 pieces, cut diagonally
Mushrooms 10 pieces, sliced
Brocolli 1 whole, cut in florets
Red Bell Pepper 1, large, cut into odd triangles
Capsicum 2, medium, cut into odd triangles
Eggplant (Brinjal) cut into dices
Tofu 100g, cut into odd triangles
Chicken, boneless thigh 150g, cut into cubes
Fish Fillet 2 fillets, cut into large triangles
Tiger Prawns, cleaned and deveined 4-5 pieces
For the Curry
Olive Oil (or any Vegetable Oil) 2 tablespoon (about 30ml)
Green Thai Curry Paste 4-5 tablespoons (as per your preference)
Light Soy Sauce few drops
Coconut Milk 2 cups (about 400ml)
Salt if required
1) Heat oil in a pan and add in the thai curry paste, soy sauce and sauté.
2) Boil water in a pan, pop in the broccoli and beans for 1 minute, then plunge it in cold water. Drain the water and keep aside the cooking liquid and vegetables aside.
3) Add in the babycorn and frenchbeans to the thai curry paste and stir fry for 2–3minutes.
4) Add in the tofu/chicken/fish/prawns, add the mushrooms, broccoli, bell peppers and the remaining vegetables and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
5) Add in one cup of cooking liquid and bring the curry to a boil.
6) Add in the coconut milk, cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed jasmine rice.
NOTE: You can enhance the flavours that you prefer in Thai curry by adding specific ingredients in the curry. While sautéing the paste, add in lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves for tanginess, green chili julienne for heat or fish sauce instead of salt more authentic thai flavour.