Shop For Change Fair trade is an NGO that was founded in 2009 with a mission to harness the power of Indian markets to improve the livelihoods of poor farmers across India via trade, not aid.This year they are working with 6 farmer groups across India. They have a range of exclusive products such as chocolate cashew, organic vanilla powder, Chamomile tea, various Herb blends, wild forest honey ( check attachment for details) – all sourced directly from small farmer groups .
Smoky Potato and Herb Donut
This is a savoury donuts which can be served as a snack. It is flavoured with smoky potato skins and Herb Mixture by ShopForChange.
For Smoky Potato and Herb Donuts
Potatoes 400grams (approximately 4 medium size potatoes)
Vegetable Oil 20ml + for frying
Sugar 5 grams
Butter 20 grams
Milk, infused 70ml
Garlic, crushed 1 clove
Refined Flour 50 grams
Baking Powder 8 grams
ShopForChange Herb Mixture 10grams
(Basil, Oregano, Garlic, Onion)
Parmesan Cheese, grated 30 grams
For the Herb and Potato Donut
1) Preheat the oven at 200 degree Celsius. Prick the potatoes with a fork then brush them with oil. Line the baking tray with rock salt and place the potatoes on it. Place the baking tray in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes.
2) Peel the potatoes and roast the potato skin over a red-hot piece of coal to give a smoky flavour. Warm milk and add in a clove of garlic and the smoky potato skin to infuse flavour into the milk. Cover with a lid for few minutes. Strain the milk.
3) In a bowl, whisk an egg and sugar. Slowly add in the infused milk and continue whisking. Add in the butter and whisk again.
4) In bowl mix flour, baking powder and the ShopForChange Herb mixture. Add in this mixture to the egg-milk mixture. Whisk together the mixture well.
5) Take one cooked potato and cut into julienne then chop it to tiny cubes. Put this potato in a zip pouch and pop it into the freezer until you complete preparing the donut mixture.
6) Remove the flesh from the remaining potatoes and pass it through a sieve to get a smooth, lump-free mash. Add the potato and the Parmesan cheese to the donut mixture. Check for salt and add a little salt if necessary. Mix well.
7) Remove the chopped potato from the freezer and add it into the potato donut mixture for a fun texture. Gently fold the chopped potato, do not mash.
8) Put this mixture into a piping bag. Line a tray with butter paper and pipe out donuts onto the sheet. Put this tray with the donuts in the freezer for an hour.
9) Remove the donuts and deep fry until golden brown.
TIP: For same size donuts, take a small round pastry cutter and pipe all the donuts around it.